Screwdrivers and wrenches are quite popular tools, they are used where you have to deal with tightening various nuts, bolts, and screws. In many ways, these tools are similar, but there are significant differences. In this article, we will discuss what is better: impact driver vs impact wrench.
What is an impact driver?
An impact is a powerful tool designed for screwing and unscrewing screws, screws, and bolts. It allows you to speed up and simplify the work. The device wraps screws, drills, has a percussion function.
The main advantages of impact driver:
- works more efficiently with long and large screws or self-tapping screws;
- high speed of driving medium screws into the wood;
- more economical in terms of power consumption for the network option;
- versatility; it allows you to fix a drill with a cylindrical shank;
- the presence of several speeds of work.
About the features of the impact wrench
A wrench is a tool used to unscrew and tighten bolts and nuts. It has a similar principle of operation as the screwdriver, but it is a more specialized tool with a percussion function. To distinguish the device, you need to look closely at the holder. As a rule, the nozzle noticeably differs from that used in drills or screwdrivers. Wrenches also come in several types:
- pneumatic (connected to the air compressor and work in compressed air);
- gasoline (according to the type of engine used are: 2 and 4-stroke).
Pneumatic tools are most often chosen for work in production because they are more reliable and safer than electric ones. Their design is such that the wrench can work in any aggressive environment. In addition, they have high power, the complete absence of sparking. And they do not need to be cooled, because in the process they do not overheat. They are usually made in a closed case, so they work great in any conditions and in any weather.
The main differences between an impact driver and an impact wrench
The wrench is more of a professional tool, while screwdrivers, by contrast, are most often used in everyday life to solve small problems of repair and assembly of various metal or wooden structures.
Among the main differences are the following:
- The wrench has more weight and dimensions than the screwdriver.
- The wrenches do not have the usual chuck, instead, a special rod is located at the end of the tool, where the nut head is fixed. To work with bits or drills, you will need to purchase and install a special adapter. Screwdrivers usually have a chuck that allows them to work with any bits and drills.
- In terms of power, screwdrivers are noticeably inferior to wrenches. The latter can unscrew even very outdated connections.
- There is no possibility of using a tangential impact in the screwdriver mechanism.
In general, it is rather difficult to give an unambiguous answer to the question “which of these two tools to choose?” It all depends on the tasks that must be solved during the repair or construction. For domestic purposes, a screwdriver is more suitable, and if it is necessary to constantly carry out a large amount of work with fasteners, then it makes sense to opt for a screwdriver.